Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tearing Down the House that Ruth Built

Yankee fans have said their last goodbyes to their temple, and I feel I should do the same. I went to a couple games last week here in DC, watching the Nats play in their brand new ballpark. It's a nice place-- a terrific place to watch a game-- but it doesn't feel the same; doesn't have the same aura of majesty that Yankee Stadium has.

I wonder how the new stadium will feel. As replacements go, I couldn't ask for much more. I'm glad they're keeping it in the South Bronx, in the neighborhood, and I'm really glad they're designing it to mimic the old Yankee Stadium. But even moving across the street, it's going to be different. It will be strange not to have the Stadium's same imposing silhouette peering down on me next time I ride the train past it.

Having lived away from New York for seven years now, my commitment as a fan has waxed and waned-- but mostly waned. Still, I feel bad not to have paid a last visit to Yankee Stadium. It feels as though they just pulled the plug on an old friend's life support, and I didn't make it to say goodbye. Sure, he was a vegetable, and he might not have even known I was there, but it would have helped with a sense of closure. Bad analogy, sorry.

The Times has done a series of good pieces on the Stadium's last days, if you'd like to get more teary-eyed:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home