Saturday, August 30, 2008

Exhale

Tomorrow afternoon, Invesco field will once again be a football stadium, as the CU Buffs take on the Colorado State Rams in the Rocky Mountain Showdown. Before long, the speech prep office at the Pepsi Center will go back to being the locker room for the Colorado Avalanche, and Howard Dean's headquarters will return to its rightful owner, Avalanche Head Coach Tony Granato. The Democratic National Convention is over, and Denver is going back to being a nice, quiet city.

I was about a thousand feet up in the air, three rows from the top of Mile High Stadium for the big show on Thursday night. When you see a guy like Obama speak, you sort of expect the earth to shake. In an astute political move, Barack lowered his rhetoric a bit, and sounded more like a normal person that he usually does. That, combined with the fact that all the themes of his speech had been recycled over and over again throughout the week left me a little disappointed, feeling as though Barack had come up short.

I've warmed up toward his speech since then. By lowering his rhetoric and talking about real policy ideas, Barack laid out some much-needed specifics. And despite my perception that his
speech was a bit hackneyed and clichéed, it's since occurred to me that was only because I (unlike most people watching on TV) had heard most of other speeches all week. In sum, Barack's speech, like most major speeches this week, was good, and covered the territory it needed to. But don't take my word for it... watch it here.

In the hopes that you weren't glued to C-SPAN all week, I'll also recommend a few of the lesser speeches that, though quite good, probably slipped below your radar. Check out:
The charades are done, which comes as a bit of a relief-- a full week of 14 hour days has left me pretty beat. I'm on my way back to New York tomorrow, then on to DC in a week. Stay tuned...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home