Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Idaho Stop

My, my, this is awfully sensible:



Bicycles, Rolling Stops, and the Idaho Stop from Spencer Boomhower on Vimeo.

The next step would be to implement the other half of the law, whereby bicyclists can treat stop lights as stop signs, providing there are neither cars nor pedestrians in their path.

This is all especially true now that we live in a world where daytime TV hosts pregnant with the children of former football stars fall victim to hit-and-runs by bicycle delivery guys.

2 Comments:

Anonymous corinne said...

SO reasonable. I definitely already do that. But wouldn't it be nice to know I wasn't breaking the law?

22/4/09 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When cars have to stop and start it makes them less efficient as well so I guess by this logic a car should be allowed to make a rolling stop using the same rules. Right?

Either way, I don't buy it because by allowing rolling stops, you're making something definitive (a complete stop) into something objective (a rolling stop). Who is to say whether the cyclist slowed or yield appropriately? The cyclist may think she or he did, but a police officer, pedestrian, or driver may see it otherwise. If you have to stop, there's not question. I think safety is more important here than efficiency.

18/5/09 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home