Thursday, November 02, 2006

Gorging

I ought to begin by thanking the uncounted thousands of you beautiful people who wished me a happy birthday yesterday. I only wish I had time to personally thank you all. Celebrating the anniversary of one's birth in a foreign country has its perks, not least, I was spared the hassle of ripping through layers of orange and black crepe paper to get to my (numerous) presents.

I celebrated last night, after an unholy nine hours of class (a Wednesday ritual), with an excellent dinner among friends. I ate way, way too much, and had to sit still for a few hours so as to avoid the possibility of exploding. A good evening, all around.

Failing already in my effort to put up a photo a day this week, I will seek forgiveness by offering you a short series, taken last weekend. I found this little boy and girl playing in an alley on campus here at Beida. I snuck up on them and took a picture.

I said hello, and the boy practically jumped out of his socks with excitement. He jumped on his friend, and twisted her head up to look at the camera. I certainly appreciated the chance to photograph such a willing subject.

One of the nice things about photographing kids is that they enjoy it. Nine times out of ten, when I ask permission to take a picture of someone older than 15, I get waved away. As such, I have stopped asking permission, but that is a tactic that sometimes invites a frown. Not so with these two.

8 Comments:

Blogger maria said...

S - A - M - M - Y! You are the best. Question for you. I am teach writing to 1st - 5th graders and would love to use some of your writing on your blog as examples of both blogging/journaling and GREAT writing. You tell a mean story and are a dynamite writer! Some of the other teachers are using blogs also. Would you mind if I showed the students some of your writing? I might not show the NO SEX IN CHINA STORY to my young guys.

Sounds like you over-indulged for your birthday and I say "gorge away!" Thank you for sharing your China adventure this way!

2/11/06 5:13 PM  
Blogger maria said...

S - A - M - M - Y! You are the best. I hope you don't mind, but since I am trying to teach writing to 1st - 5th graders, I would love to use some of your writing on your blog. You tell a great story and are in general a dynamite writer! Some teachers are teaching journaling on a blog also. Would you mind?

Sounds like you over-indulged for your birthday and I say "gorge away!" Thank you for sharing your China adventure this way.

2/11/06 5:13 PM  
Blogger maria said...

S - A - M - M - Y! You are the best. I hope you don't mind, but since I am trying to teach writing to 1st - 5th graders, I would love to use some of your writing on your blog. You tell a great story and are in general a dynamite writer! Some teachers are teaching journaling on a blog also. Would you mind?

Sounds like you over-indulged for your birthday and I say "gorge away!" Thank you for sharing your China adventure this way.

2/11/06 5:14 PM  
Blogger maria said...

SAMMY, you are the best! Sounds like you over-indulged for your birthday, a time honored tradition and certainly one I have perfected. I say "gorge away!"

Question for you. I teach writing to 1 - 5 graders and we are working on blogging as a teaching tool. You are a superb writer and great story teller AND you're in CHINA. I would love to show some of your writing to my classes if you would not mind.
Let me know what you think. (I problably won't show the NO SEX IN CHINA story to my little guys.)

Thanks for sharing you China adventure with all us land-locked AMRRRICANS.

2/11/06 5:21 PM  
Blogger amcanannie said...

So, Happy Birthday Sam!

Cute pictures!

2/11/06 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Ma said...

photos - so - delightful! M.

3/11/06 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Mary Jo Balkind said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, SAM
LOADS OF LOVE
AUNT MARY JO

3/11/06 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Frank duPont said...

Samma,

Love these pictures! Please take more portraits. Your landscapes are often gorgeous, but the pix that I am most curious about from your photo site are:

the little boy with the puppy, the girls on the train, various portraits of friends and fellow travelers, esp the kiss #2513, Judy in Inner Mongolia #2575, #2593, the guy on the bus #2492, and #2658

Have fun!

Daaa

5/11/06 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home